History of Our School

History of Our Namesake, Manavon Elementary

In the late 1600's the town of Phoenixville was known as Manavon, named after a small town in England.  It had a population of approximately 400 people, largely made up the Lenape Native American Tribe.

The first European settlers arrived in 1713 attracted to the vast waterways including the Schuylkill River.  Around 1730 Moses Coates and James Starr purchased 1,000 acres of land along French Creek which is now Phoenixville.  The land was purchased from David Lloyd a Chester County Political figure who named Manavon after his birthplace in England.  During the French and Indian Wars, the village of Manavon suffered random attacks from Indians but still continued to flourish with the opening of a nail factory, Phoenix Iron Company where the Foundry Building now stands.  When the borough was incorporated in 1849, it was renamed after it's major employer.  Manavon, PA was now called Phoenixville, PA.  To honor our historical roots, East Pikeland Elementary School was renamed Manavon Elementary School. 

The PASD is proud to continue academic excellence in the new Manavon Elementary opened in the Fall of 2017 serving our 2nd to 5th grade students with a quality, well-rounded education.  We are proud of the community atmosphere we provide our students and the support of our parents as evidenced by their work with our teachers and their involvement in special activities.
      
The administrative staff, teachers and parents work cooperatively to challenge our students to do their best and to work diligently to achieve success.  


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.